Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > Game Forums > Day Of Defeat Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
captfluff
h3x0r

Default missing maps

So who made the executive decision to remove certain maps from rotation...

I mean now I cant even nominate sherman....Maybe just a glitch at the moment but the fact that I even have to consider the possibility that one of the higher-ups removed it is, imho, ridiculous.

Lennon is an amazing map...we like it. "We" being the community....

I get it this is not a democracy but, hey, at least informing the people that support this server would be a show of respect.
captfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

Send a message via AIM to buhbuhray

you can nominate lennon_b1 and harrington
Playing day of defeat is like being on a vacation to some wind swept tropical island where topless native women serve up pina coladas and fancy bottled beer to meet my every need as I sit on top of a tiger tank and they smile knowingly at me as I mg 42 the whole opposing team coming out of spawn !
YES !
buhbuhray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
captfluff
h3x0r

how about sherman?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

down for awhile as is railroad2_b2
Playing day of defeat is like being on a vacation to some wind swept tropical island where topless native women serve up pina coladas and fancy bottled beer to meet my every need as I sit on top of a tiger tank and they smile knowingly at me as I mg 42 the whole opposing team coming out of spawn !
YES !
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
captfluff
h3x0r

well my vote is to put is back up...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

maybe we should start a donation drive to put it back up
YES !
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
captfluff
h3x0r

hahahhaa.....sounds like putting the cart before the horse if you ask me
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

of course if you had taken time to investigate our wide map selection you would indeed see CAL SHERMAN is available to play
YES !
Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Lumino
Drive a Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfluff
how about sherman?
I agree with Fluff. Sherman is MY favorite map and as often as people VOTE for it, it is popular with the majority of people. Except for a few whiners that complain about ALL the popular maps.

I'd be willing to donate to guarantee Sherman gets back on the rotation.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Tallgeese_lll
Your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfluff
So who made the executive decision to remove certain maps from rotation...

I mean now I cant even nominate sherman....Maybe just a glitch at the moment but the fact that I even have to consider the possibility that one of the higher-ups removed it is, imho, ridiculous.

Lennon is an amazing map...we like it. "We" being the community....

I get it this is not a democracy but, hey, at least informing the people that support this server would be a show of respect.
I dunno about you, but I can't count how many times people have complained about playing the likes of Sherman, Saints, Tiger, Lennon EVERY single night. There are better maps than those out there (you can count that as my opinion) and we barely even play them. The other night I even got to play Scrambled. SCRAMBLED.

When was the last time you played Scrambled? I remember when we used to play it ALL THE TIME.

But only in their dreams can men truly be free. Twas always thus, and always thus will be
Tallgeese_lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Bait
‹ber

wtf is scrambled? damn map names.
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
WOLFPAC

Well I for one know that sherman is fast and fun and it keeps people on and brings them in ???? I think the same way about saints It's all about having fun why would we do this ? We should be taking maps off that really suck and boring not the one's that are great and full of life 80% love playing that map and I also like Cal_Sherman to . and kalt I say lose the one's that come on and everybody bails . That's all I have to say.

PAC
WOLFPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
WOLFPAC

PS: Very Unhappy!!!!!!!!!!!! With this out come.

Now that's all I have to say REALLY I mean it now.

PAC OUT!
WOLFPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Bait
‹ber

yah 24/7 sherman sherman2 sherman_b6 cal_sherman lets do it.
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

lennon/sherman/harrington/custard./tiger
24/7 day in day out WEEEEEE
YES !
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
ButterPants
Older than dirt

Bells or maps?

Seriously though, I have also received threatening text messages from a certain someone who is also upset over this. Although somewhat unorthodox, BBR has a point. The server does run on donations and while some of you have donated generously both recently and in the past, many have not.

While we try to be discrete in our begging, we could use your help. Please help us help you enjoy your evenings with a small donation to the server fund.

In the meantime, I'll turn Sherman 2 back. But as a consequence, the bells are going back on as well.......

ButterPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

last time I checked we were a community of more than just the people who want what they want when they want it.

it's about everyone not just the select few that think they can control everything by bitching louder than the others..

there are many that would rather play elsewhere than play sherman everynight or get pwned on lennon every time out by being on axis. or get continually slaughtered on harrington simply cause the so called league players stack the teams ..

just because you like something doesn't mean all of us like it. for everyone that just loves the frag fest that is hostile there are an equal amount of players that detest it and all maps like it.

you don't hear them complain because they go elsewhere just like all the league players do when anzio or harrington is over and some other CUSTOM map gets played they don't like......

it ebbs and flows like the tides. take it for what you want but you have proven a point by your immediate complaining of something so heinous and foul as not having a map to play when there are hundreds of others to choose from..

Servers take money to operate and people to watch the gaming so it's fair and balanced without the ass hattery that spoils it for all..

I personally do the best I can yet in some peoples eyes it's never good enough.

I enjoy playing the game first and adminning second .

What I don't enjoy is flippancy and disrespect .

I've let a lot go under the bridge in the hopes of keeping people around but my tolerance for this has reached it's limit....
YES !
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
Very small rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFPAC
Well I for one know that sherman is fast and fun and it keeps people on and brings them in ???? I think the same way about saints It's all about having fun why would we do this ? We should be taking maps off that really suck and boring not the one's that are great and full of life 80% love playing that map and I also like Cal_Sherman to . and kalt I say lose the one's that come on and everybody bails . That's all I have to say.

PAC
The problem here, wolfpac is that people don't like maps they don't know, when in fact they are terrific maps. Why on earth anyone would want to play the same 5 maps over and over after 10 years for many of them is way beyond me. The fact is that I like old maps, but I would rather learn new ones, which is why I have frequented custom map servers for the last 6 or so years. This community has map making talent and volume second only to quake2, and maybe even beyond quake2.

I too get destroyed on maps I don't know, but in a half an hour I am up to 90% speed on them, and after a few plays I've got the angles, terrain, bugs, chokes, and flow figured pretty well. Perhaps some patience with maps you don't know.

Another thing is that when one person starts crying "this map sucks", it encourages others to do the same. Save your rtvs for stock and overplayed customs, and save your crying for Steel Magnolias.

ROCKS!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

To me it wasn't an issue of having the favorite maps so much as a draw to the server to fill it up and keep things going strong enough to survive "learning" a new map. I much prefer the custom maps but cutting out some overplayed maps seems to lead people to leaning on others, the cycle of "this again?" just doesn't die until we get people to vote for something new, not just nominate it or request it. If I never played any of the stock maps again I wouldn't miss them, but if I have to play Donner 12 times a week (with only 6 people on a team) because Lennon_b2 is missing then forget it, at least get the server full all week before you sit a map out for a month or 2 or 3. Those custom maps tend to be the larger more complex map ideas that benefit and are best suited to 8-12 person teams so people can stay on task with objectives and not just succumb to camping in front of spawn when 1 or 2 superior players derails the gameplay.

I just watched an Axis team with no MGs, snipers, prone players sitting on top of the 1st flag dominate Lennon, and I can't remember the last time that's happened. If pulling a map for a month forces people to learn new maps and change up their habits then I'm all for it. If it just shortens the list of things that get played to death and weeds out players over time it's not worth it on the whole.

I like the idea of Custom Map Night(s), but you've gotta get people to suck it up and play them first. If there's a way to make the server's default nominations custom only please, please use it, at least then people have to choose a map they don't know and RTV it if it's that bad instead of avoid it like the plague because Tiger or Kalt is on there. Making people at least go to the trouble of nominating their favorite maps might be more than enough.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

it was lennon_b1 the most fairest lennon of all
YES !